Kids and the Piano (Hawkeye Harriet-Theme & Variation)

barre41 barre46@ibm.net
Sat, 19 Jul 1997 00:08:07 -0500

Hello Ken,

The chime chord you described is also used in a piece called "Sabbath
Chimes" by F. Henri Klickmann and published by Shawnee Press. The left
hand plays a sixth but it may be a major or minor sixth depending on the
position of the note in the scale. The upper note of the left hand is
the melody note. The right hand is separated from the left hand by a
perfect fifth and it plays 2 perfect 4ths on top of each other. In the
"Sabbath Chimes" Klickmann uses the chime chords to play "Sun of My
Soul" and later in the piece he uses them again for 4 measures of
"Nearer My God To Thee". On a nice piano well tuned, these chords are
beautiful and sound very much like chimes.

I have used these chords now and then if the situation feels right to be
a little humorous saying, "Did you know that this piano is so good that
you can play chimes on it?" Playing a few chime chords then has always
gotten a good responce.

Norm Barrett
Memphis, TN