Plastic Keytops

Delwin D Fandrich pianobuilders@olynet1.olynet.com
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 12:45:18 -0700

Horace Greeley wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Carefully putting on my asbestos suit, I must (strongly) disagree with the
> practice of highly polishing keytops and/or sharps.
>
> Other than the normal complaints about tuning, voicing and regulation, too
> smooth a key surface is the single most common complaint I have heard from
> pianists in over 30 years of work.  This list would include players all the
> way from older artists like Rubenstein (who used hair spray), Istomin (who
> still sands keys), and Rudolf Serkin (who mostly grumbled) through more
> contemporary artists like Hough (who constantly wipes the smallest bit of
> slick spot), to the ordinary bread-and-butter client.
>
> There is no question but that nasty, scratched-up, dirty keys are something
> more than a minor eyesore annoyance.  On the other hand, with stage
> temperatures easily exceeding 80 (F), I've seen artists as otherwise
> sure-footed as Magaloff struggling.
>
> A limited frame of reference, perhaps, but...
>
> Best to all.

Horace,

You're right, it's not just looks.

The process I described of sanding & lightly buffing -- very lightly
buffing, the finished keytop has a soft mat look to it -- is the same
one I used to set up the various concert pianos I've serviced over the
years.

Except for Rubenstein (who still sprayed his hair spray, without
comment) I had very few complaints about keys that were too slick.

ddf