Plastic Keytops

Wed, 16 Jul 1997 07:59:18 -0700

Dave Sanderson wrote:

> Del
> I agree that high polish plastic is not that attractive, nor is it very
> traditional.  Putting some texture into plastic may seem desirable but
> what I wonder about is the tendency of surface roughness to attract dirt.
>  Is this a problem when we induce scratches, albeit small ones, in a
> plastic keytop?
> David Sanderson
> Littleton, MA

Dave,

That's why we buff. The first time I tried this many years ago I left
them with the sanded surface. I thought they looked less bad than their
polished counterparts. (Remember, I grew up with ivory keytops, plastic
was the interloper.) And, yes, they collected dirt fairly readily. Kind
of like a magnet.

After developing the buffing routine, things improved. They don't seem
to. At least we've not had complaints about this.

But, as indicated, I'm not completely happy with the proceedure, hence
my question about other's experience.

ddf