Plastic Keytops

Tue, 15 Jul 1997 20:26:07 -0700

Ted Simmons wrote:

> Glen, here's something that has worked for me.  Go to a hardware store,
> Walmart, or K-mart and get some "NEVR DULL" (spelling is correct).  This is
> a jeweler's-rouge-impregnated cloth and acts as a very fine polishing tool.
> Use this with some elbow grease to polish the keytops and then wipe with a
> clean cloth.  Repeat as necessary.
>
> Ted Simmons
>
> > I am trying to finish repairing some scratched plastic keytops and
> > can't quite get the high sheen back again.
> >
> > I have removed the scratches with #0000 steel wool.  Buffed first with
> > white and then finished buffing with red polishing compound.  The
> > finish just won't come up that last tinny bit to look really shiny.
> >
> > Does anyone have suggestions on how to get that final gloss?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Glen

Glen, Ted, et al,

I think we've been going about this all wrong -- we've been trying to
get rid of the gloss!

I've never been a fan of the shiny, plastic look either on key tops or
on piano bodies. With the keys I worked out a technique of sanding and
buffing that seems to work pretty well:
I clamp an AEG orbital sander (spins at 20,000+ opm) in my large wood
vise and sand the tops with 320 grit stearated paper until uniformly
flat & smooth. Then buff at low speed with a fluffed buffer using a
minimal amount of plastic buffing compound. The result is a uniform mat
finish that looks pretty good against either mat plastic or ebony
sharps.

I say it works pretty well, if anyone has a better idea and/or process,
I'd love to hear about it.

ddf