Bass line

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 00:52:57 -0500

Les Smith wrote:

> With apologies to Ralph, this is not only misleading, but totally
> false.  <<giant snip>>

> Clearly, the bass notes do NOT define that harmony, either here, or in
> a ZILLION other places in well-written music. Sorry.

Gee Les, Lighten up.If you'll re-read Ralph's post, I think you'll find
that he was not attempting to re-invent music theory, but to explain the
accepted theatre organ playing technique.  I know absolutely nothing
about theatre organ playing, but after many years of road work in a
"country" act, I've had this discussion with many fine steel guitar
players.  Consider:  nobody reads little spots on staff paper - most
guitar players think staff is an infection they got from the girl at the
bar last night.  Well, when charting songs using Nashville notation, I
was forever writing things like  I/Vbass.   Then the steel player, using
the C6 neck would come back with "no way, it's a V6sus."  Who's right?
We both are, depending on your perspective.  In the key of C to a
classically trained piano player, a I/Vbass is a C chord with the bass
man (or left hand) playing a G.  To a person playing a pedal steel
guitar with 12 strings tuned to sound a C6 chord when played open, he
actually forms a G chord, uses a knee lever to suspend the 4th, and
plays the exact same notes that the piano is playing.

It seems that Ralph's point was, if a theater organ were charting the
same tune, he would use the G pedal - considering it the root of the
chord, play a C chord on top of it, and the rest of us would hear a
G6sus as an alternative to what was written - thus defining the theatre
style.

I know you said "well written" music, but can you name a classical
artist that has sold as many records or concert tickets as George
Strait?  Perhaps, if I ever go out again with another country band, I'll
suggest they replace the steel guitar with a theatre organ . . .

Danny Moore
Houston Chapter