expanded temperment (Jim C.)

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 21:10:28 -0700 (MST)

Congratulations Ralph:

You are only the 3rd person who has actually successfully tried the
widened octaves or approaching pure 5ths temperament. Now, I'm going
to suggest that you might next try widening a little more, say, 1.5
cents addition to the A4 stretch number. This will make your 5ths even
purer and the octaves and 4ths a little wider. You can then actually
measure the widths of the 5ths that are a result of this tuning. They
may not all be perfectly pure, but they will be close to pure. You are
another who confirms what I said in the beginning that many aural tuners
have been doing this accidentally for years and have been judged as
superior tuners perhaps for that very reason.

I just completed reading an article by Mieczyslaw Kolinski from an older
edition of the American Journal of the Musicological Society on this
very subject, so I can not claim originality to this system of tuning.
I must however say that I arrived at it empirically whereas he arrived
at it theoretically. His system does not include a sense of inharmonicity
whereas, mine was developed with that specifically in mind.

Jim Coleman, Sr.

PS I believe that these studies will eventually help us all to arrive at
   a concensus as to the best type of octave stretch to use. It may not be
   perfectly pure 5ths, but something close to it  JWC