Hammer striking line

Frank Weston waco@ari.net
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 15:39:09 -0400

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> Frank,
>
> Rarely, if ever, has 1/7 of the speaking length actually been used as a
> real life hammer strike point. This ratio has its origins in some of
> John Broadwood's work. Typically, a piano of that era (1912) will have a
> strike point at approximately 1/12th to 1/16th of the striking point at
> C-88. This will change more or less uniformly down through the scale and
> end up somewhere around 1/8th in the lower third of the scale. From
> there down the ratio will probably be somewhere between 1/7.5 to 1/8.5.
> There are always exceptions, but this should provide a good starting
> point.

After a little measuring and a little math, I have confirmed the truth
in the above numbers.  On three pianos I measured, the ratios varied all
over the place, but none was 1/7.

Your method sounds very logical, I will be using it with some minor
variations.  I guess the bottom line is to hang the hammers where they
sound the best, don't hit anything they're not supposed to, and where
they give a reasonable touch weight.

Thanks - Frank Weston