Hawkeye Harriet-Theme & Variation

Kenneth W. Burton kwburton@freenet.calgary.ab.ca
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 06:26:25 -0600 (MDT)

	Zen,

	Good for you! I have a routine of entertainment which I use for
kids and, if you don't mind, I'll add the bit about the jack kicking the
hammer in the butt.
	You probably do this already but--One trick I have is to say,
"I'll show you some of the sounds the piano can make." Then, stepping on
the sustain pedal, I strum the strings in the centre section with my
fingernail, a few at a time, then up the whole high treble section. Their
eyes get big and they say, "Cool!" Then I say, "Would you like to hear the
piano sound like thunder?" They nod their heads in the affirmative. I ask,
"Will you be scared?" They say they won't. Then, again stepping on the
sustain pedal, I strum the bass string really hard. The sound is so loud
and aggressive that it is a bit scary.
	I do some things with my tuning fork for them, ending up with
buzzing their noses. Then, I find when I am finished, if they still want
to fool with the keys, I just say, "It's my turn!" They back off and soon
leave because the excitement is over.

	Ken Burton "Doctor Piano" Calgary Alberta