the in tune continuo...

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Sun, 13 Jul 1997 23:39:30 -0500

Thanks Don,
	Is this the same as the term "figured bass".  It is an intriquing
concept, esp to modern day inprovisonal players who seem to be found
now in the Jazz, Pop, and Blues fields.  And pipe organists of
course.  But the bass line is improvised.  What a concept for modern
day musicians, improvising to a written bass line.  Apparently
though, it was soup d'jour for our classical and baroque
predecessors.
	Well this is indeed "off topic" unless it leads into preceding pipe
organ tuning schemes, ,

Richard Moody

----------
> From: Don Mannino <dmannino@kawaius.com>
> To: 'pianotech@ptg.org'
> Subject: RE: the in tune continuo...
> Date: Saturday, July 12, 1997 1:34 PM
>
> Richard,
>
> "Basso Continuo" is a term used for what was originally a simple
bass
> line written out in the score, sometimes with numeric 'chord
> indicators' (my term) above the line which indicated the chord
> position. This was a shorthand system similar to a current "Fake
Book"