Perfect Pitch

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Sat, 12 Jul 1997 10:21:57 -0700

Ted_Sambell@BanffCentre.AB.CA wrote:

>                       RE>>Perfect Pitch                            7/11/97
> Dear All,
>
> Way back when I was learning to tune, our teacher told us there was a
> Biblical  quotation, (I have not been able to find it) which says:
>
> "All ye who touch pitch are defiled"
>
> Ted_Sambell@banffcentre.ab.ca
>
> --------------------------------------
> Date: 7/11/97 1:30 PM
> To: Ted Sambell
> From: pianotech
> When I was at the Navy School of Music to study for Chief, we had to do
> melodic dictation to advance, and one of my good friends had what your
> saying is "perfect pitch", and it got him into a world of trouble at times.
>  For instance we would be taking dictation in one key and he might be one
> half step away on certain notes, because the piano would be out of tune on
> these notes.  So it can be a curse as well as a gift.
> Lenny Childs, RPT
>
> ----------
> > From: Phil Bondi <tito@peganet.com>
> > To: pianotech@ptg.org
> > Subject: Perfect Pitch
> > Date: Thursday, July 10, 1997 5:56 PM
> >
> > ..i'll keep it short..
> >
> > ..until someone comes up with a better *term* for what some of us are
> > blessed with, it will always raise questions..perhaps Relatively Perfect
> Pitch?
> >
> > ..if someone asks me to sing a *A*, i can, in *reletive* terms..if
> someone
> > asks me to name the 4-5 notes in that chord, i can..if someone asks me to
> > tell them what key this song is in, i can..
> >
> > ..if it ain't perfect, then what should we call it..relative?..can
> someone
> > with *good* relative pitch sing an *A* on command?..i don't think so.
> >
> > ..i invite your comments..publicly or privately.

Ted,

I think you need to get into a good dictionary and look at the other
definitions of "pitch".  Check the "King James" version of the Bible.
There were quite a few unusual terms in there!  It may have been
translated differently in the newer Bibles.

Warren
--
Home of the Humor List
Warren D. Fisher