piano manufacturers

Sat, 12 Jul 1997 07:26:21 -0700

Barrie Heaton wrote:

> I agree with most of what you said but the issue on design should be
> targeted to the higher end of the market where th4e future is for the
> piano manufacturers.  The bread and butter end,  the masses are more
> concerned with price rather than performance.
>
> I don't know about the U.S. but here in the U.K. houses are getting
> smaller and disposable income of the middle classes is deminishing.  The
> electronic piano will fill the gap for the mass market.   Eventually
> technology will find the answers to electronic keyboads shortfalls and
> their price structure will make them a very desirable product. this will
> inevetably be the final nail in the coffin for the cheap small piano and
> possibly even the lower end of the secondhand market.  The middle and
> upper ranges will have a future as there is always individuals who
> prefer the real thing.
>
> Of course, there could be a complete revival in years to come like in
> the British beer industry in the late 60's all the breweries opted for
> keg beer because it was cheaper tgo produce and had a longer shelf life
> by the late 70's real ale was a rare commodity in the South of England
> and hard to find in the North of England.  The real ale campaign was
> born and it has been an impressive change around there isn't a pub now
> in England who doesn't sell real ale so there may be a future for the
> real piano.
>
> Barrie.

You're generally right about new design being aimed at the high end of
the market, however I've found that, wihtin limits, good acoustic design
doesn't cost any more to build that does bad acoustic disign. In other
words, even a bad design is going to have strings, a bridge, a
soundboard, a few ribs, etc. Those components might a well be the right
size and in the right place. In the late 80's, one of my first jobs at
Baldwin was to redesign their 45" studio. Sales were really down as
buyers fled to the more attractive Japanese pianos. The redesigned scale
fit on the same back, only very minor changes were made to the plate
pattern, the thickness and grain angle of the soundboard was changed and
two ribs were added. The cost of the new model went up by about $6.00.
The performance was dramatically improved. Enough so to stop the decline
in sales turn it to an increasing sales curve.

Incidently, in my Journal article, I chose to describe a 42" vertical
primarily because I don't care if the design is "borrowed" by some
manufacturer who wants to cut out the "middleman," namely me. I would be
quite surprised if I were ever hired to design, or even redesign,
another 42" piano. I think you are correct about the future of the
small, especially the cheap, piano. Eventually the electronics people
will get it together.

I was a bit dissapointed to learn that Herrberger Brooks had been bought
out by Harmony. I've been trying to get information out of them about
their new grand action. I've been considering using it in a piano I've
been fussing with. Now I understand why it's been so difficult to get
them to respond to my requests for information.

The revival in the piano industry here has been, at least in part,
through the sales of rebuilt older pianos. Sadly, it's one of the
easiest ways a buyer has of getting a decent sounding piano.

And, you have no idea how happy I am to hear that good ale is still
available in England. I never doubted it. After all, Inspector Morse
always seems to find a good pint or two when necessary. We're enjoying a
bit of a brewing renaissance ourselves.

Thanks for your interest.

ddf