Hawkeye Harriet-Theme & Variation

Zen Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 19:18:57 -0400

----------
> From: PDtek@aol.com
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Hawkeye Harriet-Theme & Variation
> Date: Friday, July 11, 1997 1:34 AM
>

> I guess the bottom line is that we are guests in our customer's private
> sanctuary, tuning their beloved instrument and therefore need to be as
> accomodating as possible. Of course there are times when we have to make
> requests in order to do the best possible job for them, but we are most
> likely to be welcome back into their home if we are willing to go with
the
> family flow as much as possible.
>
> Dave Bunch

Ain't it the Truth!!  The more you can go with the family flow, the more
interest you show in this family, the more likely you are to be called upon
for regular service.  When I was just starting out, I often got
word-of-mouth referrals because of my ability to befriend the family pets.

I also found early on that it helps to treat the piano like a member of the
family rather than as a noisy machine full of moving parts.  To bring up
the dry subject of humidity control, I might start the discussion with
something like "The piano is made up of organic materials.  Therefore it
has organic requirements..."

Humor also helps, as long as it doesn't offend the customer.  That's your
chance to really let loose with analogies that the piano is like a cross
between a pet and a car.  You'll be surprised how much a piano comes to
life to the customer in addition to its being improved through your service
efforts.

There you have it.  The piano comes to life, the customer has an increased
interest in it because of that, and you're called back to service it again
because you are the technician who can communicate with it.

ZR!  RPT
diskladame@provide.net