perfect pitch

Michel Lachance chance@InterLinx.qc.ca
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 13:15:13 +0000

Jim.Shari@ruralnet1.com wrote:

> I would like for anyone with "perfect pitch" to take this simple test:
>
> Begin with a well-tuned piano.  Strip-mute the center section, then ask
> the person with perfect pitch to tell the tuner when a certain note is
> correct as the tuner moves the pitch of that center string up and down.

SNIP-

   I believe this
> will end the discussion concerning perfect pitch.

People are not like computers.  The pitch recognition can differ a lot
from one people to another.  Certain musicians like composer Pierre
Boulez can recognize sound frequencies with an astonishing accurateness,
other people goes only with a fairly rough ideas of the pitch.  And they
all claim having perfect pitch.  If we are to put them all in the same
bag, we should refrain from putting forward any straight conclusions
about it.

BTW, my RCT is on its way toward my mailbox.  I am really looking
forward to see how this perfect pitch is like!

Michel Lachance, RPT