piano manufacturers

Fri, 11 Jul 1997 08:08:48 -0700

Richard Moody wrote:

> > Ralph
>
>         What was happening in the piano industry besides the domestic market
> slumping and imported sales increasing at the same time? For one
> thing,  the R&D in the American manufacturing became interested in
> producing quantity cheaper, from old factories, while in Japan and
> Korea, they were concerned with producing quality in quantity, and
> designing new factories to meet these objectives.   As a result,
> Aeolian, Kimball, Wurlitzer, K&C, and others got worse, while at the
> same time Yamaha, Kawai, Young Chang and Samick were getting better.
> While the Americans looked at cheaper materials, such as plywood
> soundboards,  scuse me "laminated", particle board case parts,
> plastic veneer, and accepting less quality parts,  such as plates,
> lower grades of lumber, cheaper felts, the Asians were doing the
> opposite.  In about 1985 I remember servicing a Kawai action and a
> Yamaha action side by side, and that after noon in seeing a Renner
> action and the American action it was replacing.  I was surprised
> then of the quality the Japaneses actions  had shown.

I agree with most of what you say, but I've been inside enough Japanese
and Korean built instruments now to know that most of what we perceive
as "quality" is on the outside where it can readily be seen. "Quality"
obviously includes fit and finish and these are areas in which the
Japanese pianos excell. However, I would also include structural
materials. I don't consider a rim to be of high quality when the wood
forming it is softer than the soundboard glued to it. I've never seen
this in an American piano. I have in some well regarded Japanese pianos.
Both Japanese and Korean pianos use as much "particle board" (actually
they use MDF, or medium density fiberboard, as do U.S. manufacturers) as
they can get by with. There cases typically use thinner veneers and show
signs of using every cost-cutting technique they can find. They do,
however, lavish attention of appearance.

>         And didn't we hear  how the Asians were enjoying a cheaper labor
> force?  I think now Japanese labor is paid the same or more than
> American, and of course the Korean workers want those kind of wages
> also.  Has this then affected the sales of Japanese vs American
> pianos in our own market?

You're right. Investment in manufacturing R&D, in factories and
machinery pay off. In manufacturing efficiency, at least. But they don't
necessarily make better sounding pianos.

>         But what about the piano?  In a few broad concepts, the American
> middle class doesn't buy pianos like it used to.  The quality of
> American piano has been down.  There is less demand for piano players
> in  fact they are called keyboard players more and more. How many
> kids between the age of 6 and 16 are taking piano lessons?   And
> there is the reality of market saturation, especially in the home or
> family market.  That point has been reached in the music industry
> market, but there, the turn over of used up instruments is greater.

When was the last time any of us showed up at our local school board
meeting to protest their dropping yet another music or art subject from
the curriculum in favor of yet another sports progam?

>         The main aspect of piano manufacture has not so far been mentiond,
> the workers who are craftsmen, or artisians even, who because of
> years of experience enable the nuances that make a well designed
> piano even better.  There comes a point when R&D is no longer
> necessary if the quality of workmanship is lagging or lacking.  If
> you want quality pianos you need quality workers.  Somehow I don't
> think this concept is high on the list of priorities other wise we
> would see a lot more second and third generation crafts people, and a
> lot less companies moving to "cheaper labor markets", or even
> considering it.
>
> Richard Moody.

Again, true. But, I've worked in some American factories and visited
others. American workers are skilled, and they are capable of good
craftsmanship and with VERY FEW exceptions want very much to do a good
job.

Quality in any product or process is a function of management. Period.
Dot.

ddf