Perfect Pitch

Michel Lachance chance@InterLinx.qc.ca
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 08:36:06 +0000

Richard,

Pitch memory is only one of several abilities the ear can develop.
There are some others (I may not have the right english terminology):

Inner hearing:  The ability to "hear", "sing" or "play" *inwardly* a
melody, a rythm, etc, previously played or heard.

Ear memory:  The ability to recall a series of sounds previously heard.

Harmonic sense:  The ability to recognize which degree a chord is in a
given tonality.

Interval sense:  The ability to distinguish an interval.

I was a crack of music dictation at University and never had perfect
ear.  I rather used the previously mentionned skills to take down on
paper any melody or chord progressions.  I have what we call a very good
"relative ear".  I only need to know the first note and I take care of
the rest.

Michel Lachance, RPT