Perfect Pitch

Phil Bondi tito@peganet.com
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 08:24:07 -0400 (EDT)

>This is in total sincerity...
>
>Question?  When did you realize you could name pitches you
>heard?  Did you have a piano/instrument in the house?  Do you
>think it was up to pitch/in tune as you grew up...

..David, I grew up with a piano tuned regularly..when i learned the pitch
names, age 7, it was realized then that i had this ability..there's also an
old home movie of me snapping my fingers to a song at age 2-3 on beats 2 &
4..i was a cute kid!

>I keep wondering if someone with this "pitch memory skill" or
>what ever it is, could have it without the introduction of
>musical listening during their development.
..speaking for myself, neither one  of my parents were very gifted
musically..they both played in HS band, and that's it..i have 2
children..neither has perfect pitch, but my 16 year old daughter is very
good vocally as far as staying ON pitch.

>guess what I'm trying to say is do all "perfect pitch" folk hear
>the same "perfection"?

..or imperfection, if you will..there's alot of classical recordings that
have the title of..*Sonata in D*..it's a very flat D to today's
standards..does that answer the question?