Perfect Pitch

Frank Weston waco@ari.net
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 20:54:08 -0400

Phil Bondi wrote:

> ..i'll keep it short..
>
> ..until someone comes up with a better *term* for what some of us are
> blessed with, it will always raise questions..perhaps Relatively Perfect Pitch?
>
> ..if someone asks me to sing a *A*, i can, in *reletive* terms..if someone
> asks me to name the 4-5 notes in that chord, i can..if someone asks me to
> tell them what key this song is in, i can..
>
> ..if it ain't perfect, then what should we call it..relative?..can someone
> with *good* relative pitch sing an *A* on command?..i don't think so.
>
> ..i invite your comments..publicly or privately.

Phil,

I think everyone would agree that you have perfect pitch if you can tune
a piano so that it is pleasantly playable without the use of external
reference tones, and without checking intervals.

Until then, we could probably all agree that you have pretty good pitch.

Frank Weston

BTW - We all have perfect pitch.  Some of us just forget quicker than
others.