Hawkeye Harriet -Reply

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 00:02:00 -0500

----------
> From: Steve Pearson <SPearson@yamaha.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Hawkeye Harriet -Reply
> Date: Wednesday, July 09, 1997 11:11 AM
>
> Sorry, but I could not resist jumping in here.  Firstly, there is
no such
> thing as perfect pitch.  Honest.  It is sort of the aural
equivalent of idetic
> imagry, or "photographic memory".

Sorry but I could not find "idetic" in the dictonary.  My two cents
on perfect pitch is that it is a relative term defining a relative
concept, and thus  futile proving it "no such thing".

	Never the less, once upon a time I tuned a piano and the lady called
me back three days later and said, "My sister who has perfect pitch
and sings in the opera, says there are some notes out of tune."   I
told her I guaranteed my work and would be by to see if I might have
made any mistakes.  I had a grand total of three years experience
then.  I asked her if the sister could be there, or at least mark the
notes she thought out of tune.  When I got there the notes she had
marked were unisons that were pure.  I had raised the pitch 1/4
semitone and that taught me to write on the invoice, "piano way out
of tune, tune again in 2 weeks to 3 months. Anyhow I got the feeling
of being between a rock and a mud hole, so I tuned the rest of
unisons pure and asked her to have her sister listen again.  She
replied, "Oh she is in Europe and won't be back for three months." I
didn't have the experience or maxchy (how the heck do you spell
that??) to say, "Well, in that case, she should be satisfied"

Richard with Mocksay