barbershop

Dan M. Hallett, Jr. dhalle@toolcity.net
Wed, 09 Jul 1997 21:31:43 -0400

REALPIANOS@aol.com wrote:

> James Grebe said: What type of temperament would come close to approximating barbershop harmony?

Dear Jim: I'm unsure of the information you are seeking. As a director
of a barbershop chorus, I use a piano to help with awareness of rhythms,
learning parts, and to supply harmony when resting a section's voices,
and occasionally play the score to create an awareness of the tempo I
want to use.
When using the  piano to play their parts the chorus approximates the
piano's tuning.
As quickly as I stop playing, the group returns to their normal
blending. I've listened carefully, and can ascertain no tuning which
would approximate the intervals they create when singing.
I can elaborate more if you desire, but will do it in a private post.
Hope this helps.
Dan Hallett, Jr. RPT
Hallett's Piano Service
dhalle@toolcity.net