problem embarrased

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 09:59:58 -0500

>Dear list,
>Here is a new one on me.
>I repaired a screwon type piano leg that has the screw going into the leg
>and the other end is a bolt end that screws into a 1/2" nut in the keybed.
>The wood had stripped out and I brought it back to the shop to repair.  I
>epoxied the screw end into the leg but forgot to check if enough of the the
>bolt end stuck out and would reach the nut in the keybed.  It doesn't.  I
>need about 1/8" to 1/4" more thread out of the leg.
>Anyone know how I can temporarily release the epoxies' hold on the leg bolt
>to turn it out a little more.  Are there any solvents or would heating the
>bolt end do it?  Any help?
>I am really looking foolish on this one.
>James Grebe
>R.P.T. from St. Louis

Hi James,

You might consider installing a threaded insert, available through
Woodcraft, into the keybed from the bottom. These are inserts which have
knife threads on the outside and machine threads on the inside. The size
you need is probably a 3/8-16, but you can check first. They come in
several sizes.

For the 3/8-16, you drill a 1/2 inch hole where the existing screw hole is,
install the insert from underneath the keybed, and screw the leg into the
insert. The advantage of this method is that you don't have to remove the
hanger bolt from the leg.

Woodcraft phone #:

1-800-535-4482
part # 11M40 (3/8-16 threaded insert)