satin ebony pianos reply

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Fri, 4 Jul 1997 09:23:07 -0500

----------
> From: Jim.Shari@ruralnet1.com
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: satin ebony pianos
> Date: Friday, July 04, 1997 9:02 AM
>
> I would be interested in knowing what other piano refinishers do as a
> final step in refinishing satin ebony pianos.  After all the wet
> sanding is done, how do some of you achieve the straight-lined satin
> appearance.  We have had pretty good luck with a 1/2 sheet size
> (carpet-covered) block and 600 grit wet/dry paper.   We lube the
> surface with soapy wol-wax and water, then with a large (home-made)
> T-square for the lid, we give it a final rub.  Then, wipe dry with a
> bath towel (not paper).
> If anyone has other suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim
Dear Jim,
Your way sounds fine and I would imagine you are using 320 and 400 before
the 600.  The other way would be to use 4-f pumice and is wanted shinier
finishing with rottenstone always going easy on the sharp edges. Another
alternative would be to use the 3 grades of synthetic steel wool.
James Grebe
pianoman@inlink.com