poor pianos (was Consultation Fees)

Bill Ballard yardbird@sover.net
Mon, 30 Jun 1997 23:33:35 -0400 (EDT)

On 6/29/97, "David M. Porritt" <dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu> wrote:
<< I guess my problem with these things is that they appear to be so well
restored and that implies a certain quality of work that they don't have.
I'm trying to come up with an analogy that fits and I can't because there
is no other large purchase that people make where they know so little
about the inner workings. >>

It's up to us to open the piano up for them, shine a flashlight in there,
and show how really skin-deep these pieces of work are. One of my favorite
selling points is that any of these components (board, shanks, whatever)
has a certain working life, and how much fresh material you decide to put
into the piano during a rebuilding will determine (material and
workmanship being good and all other things being equal) how far into the
future you can send that piano before anyone has to worry about these
components. A good rebuilding should "throw" a piano several decades into
the future.

A few summer's back I added a note to the bottom of a tuning invoice: "I'm
sure you'll enjoy what this piano has left to give". It was a 110 year-old
Knabe upright with popping bass strings, a ripped bass bridge, and
shriveled ivory (among other things). But the grandmother who owned it
loved it.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter

"Tomorrow is going to be a 'Say Something' Hat Day. "
	Partick Swazey in "To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything....."