Steinway/retro-fit \ Giving me fits

RPSPIANO@aol.com RPSPIANO@aol.com
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 18:43:15 -0500 (EST)

List Members,

I have what I think is a 1930 Steinway B with a telfon action
that has been installed / serial  # 272377.  The key frame
is replaced & .147 balance rail pins , originals  would have
been .160,  and the half round "accelerated" dowel.
Hammer c/p to wippen c/p = 4 1/2 "
Hammer c/p to hammer center = 5 1/8 "
Keybed to hammer c/p = 5 3/4 "
Are these numbers close?
The action feels like a truck down weight started out at 85 gr.
with an up weight of about 40 - 41 gr. With some weight removed
from hammers and shanks and some other friction problems -
got down weight to 69 gr. there are still a lot of problems.
Question is can this ever work?  I think the best thing would be to
start over again, but the client just got the instrument (should
have called a tech first) . The piano really sounds pretty good
refinished and re-strung w/ new block - soundboard is in very
good condition. Just wonder if I'm spinning my wheels and
wasting time and client money on this current action?

Any help or input on this would be greatly appreciated.
Mark Ritchie RPT
Cols OH