Silicone

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 08:47:25 -0500 (EST)

Newton, David and List;
 I am sending a definition, (ASE and American Heritage Dict.) of silicone so
we can all speak  on the same substance.
"sil-i-cone
Any of a group of semi-inorganic polymers based on the structural unit R2SiO,
where R is an organic group, characterized by wide-range thermal stability,
*high lubricity*, extreme water repellence, and physiological inertness and
used in adhesives, *lubricants*, protective coatings, paints, electrical
insulation, synthetic rubber, and prosthetic replacements for bodily parts."
(*emphasis is mine)
 Some substances are better than other substances for some applications and
Newton is correct, in a general way (my opinion) about silicone.  If you will
recall we discussed silicone and one of our list member's customer's piano
some weeks back.
  Any substance, Protek lubricant included, can be misused and prove
detrimental to the operation of a given mechanism. Silicone is indeed an
insidious substance that wants to migrate to where it can.  If there is
physical contact between two parts there is indeed a possibility/probability
of silicone migrating from one part to another.
 The judicial use of silicone, in appropriate situations, can be of
significant benefit to us as techs. Silicone, like graphite, is something
that has been and will be used, misused, abused, discussed, fussed about, and
cussed at for many many years in tech circles.

 In my opinion the use of any lubricant to cure ills of action centers is
contraindicated. A tight action center is an indication of some problem that
can be masked by use of lubricants, but not fixed by them. Then why use any
lubricant at all? Time constraints, budget constraints, drop action spinet
pianos etc.
Just my thoughts.
Jim Bryant (FL)
ps- to answer the original question about where to get silicone, I believe it
is available from Baldwin.