"Wurl. Silicone..Nasty Stuff"

Daleboy@aol.com Daleboy@aol.com
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 08:19:47 -0500 (EST)

Dear List,
     I been reading some of the responses to the original Wurlitzer Silicone
Post and couldn't help but chime in on this one. To start off....I ain't no
environmentalist wacko but, when it comes to this chemical I am!!
      To the best of my knowledge the type of Silicone they were using was a
water soluable Silicone. Petroleum based but broken down to easily mix with
water. Me thinks I remember them gettin' the hot seat from OSHA, once they
learned what it was.
      Once introduced into the water supply (spent or byproduct after
treating the parts) THE STUFF NEVER GOES AWAY!!
Has a half life of like 5,000 years or so and was suspected to be highly
carcenogenic. I think I remember a news report of the police catching a
tanker truck driver dumping a load of this stuff in the Mississippi
somewhere....Memphis? The Delta region maybe?? Dunno but this stuff scares me
plenty!
     I know that we all use Silicone in some form or another in our work
(tuning hammer implants perhaps??har har) but the wholesale use of this water
soluable type should be purchased and used with some forthought.
My 2 cents.....Thanks!
Dale Whitehead, RPT
Whitehead Piano Service......Franklin, TN