Subj: Different agraffes

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 13:44:26 -0500 (EST)

Keith writes;
>88 agraffes each individually shaped like
>a minature tuning fork,<snip>, except the string side holes were
>higher than the tuning pin side holes, thereby causing the string to
>deflect downward from the string side to the tuning pin side *inside* the U
>agraffe.  Interesting sight!

     My parents have an 1870 Hallet&Davis upright with these sort of agraffes
on the bridge.  each one is turned oppositely, so that every other note has
its strings pulled up or down.  the Soundboard is totally flat, as all the
opposing forces on the bridge make it all quite rigid.  And it works!

regards,
Ed Foote