Chas. Fred Stein

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 08:03:20 -0600

Ron & List,

If I picture correctly what Ron describes below, it is similar to some
experiments I have seen on grands to offset the effect of the bridge
rolling in the direction of the keyboard when the piano is brought up to
pitch, especially when first strung.  The amount of flare follows the
amount of bridge roll you would expect along the bridge - more in the
tenor and less in the top (capo area).

I remember some years ago visiting the Ibach factory in Germany with
Klaus Fenner when he was designing their pianos.  He had several
different prototype designs of this sort of bridge design.  The end
effect should be to stabilize the piano more quickly after stringing and
it was being developed in this case mainly to speed up the manufacturing
process (surprise, surprise!)

The holes could be nicely designed, but primarily to eliminate mass and
weight without compromising the strenght of the ....thing.

Maybe this explanation fits.

----Joel