CYA - finale, or a beginning

Paul Graeber pgraeber@1connect.com
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 20:33:53 -0800

My best wishes to you and your family.
As a friend said recently, as one door shuts, another opens.
Mine just shut and the next one is still opening.

At 10:42 PM 1/28/97 -0500, you wrote:
> [...]
that.

>Now for that list:
>
>                      Chronic Fatigue -- Fibromylgia Syndrome
>                                 List of Symptoms
>
>These are individualistic and fluctuate in severity and not all are experi-
>enced by those afflicted; may include profound or prolonged fatigue,
especial-
>ly after exercise levels that would have been easily tolerated before.
>
>I have put an "x" next to those that I have experienced without establishing
>any priority.
>
>      Low grade fever.
>      Sore throat.
>      Painful lymph nodes.
>x     Muscle weakness.
>x     Muscle discomfort or myalgia (pain or aching).
>x     Low muscle oxygen levels.
>x     Sleep disturbance (hypersomnia or insomnia).
>      Headaches of new type, severity or pattern.
>x     Migratory arthralgia without joint swelling or redness.
>      Neuro-psychologic problems;
>x            Photophobia.
>x            Transient visual scotomata
>x            Forgetfulness.
>x            Irritability.
>x            Confusion.
>x            Difficulty thinking.
>x            Inability to concentrate.
>x            Depression or anxiety.
>      Night sweats.
>x     Shortness of breath.
>      Chest pain.
>x     Sensitivity to heat and cold.
>x     Dizziness and balance problems.
>x     Function problems (spacial disorientation).
>      Visual disturbances;
>x            Blurring.
>x            Sensitivity to light.
>x            Eye pain.
>             Frequent prescription changes.
>      Intolerance of alcohol.
>x     Irregular heartbeat.
>x     Abdominal pain.
>x     Diarrhea
>x     Irritable bowel.
>      Low temperature.
>      Numbness of face or extremities.
>x     Burning in the hands or feet.
>x     Hearing disorders or sensitivity.
>      Menstrual problems.
>x     Hypersensitivity of the skin or rashes.
>x     Allergies and sensitivities to odors and chemicals.
>x     Weight changes without changes in diet.
>x     Light headiness (feeling "in a fog").
>      Fainting.
>x     Muscle twitching.
>      Seizures.
>x     Hair loss.
>      Excessive dryness in mouth and eyes.
>
>The cause of fibromylgia is unknown.  Research interest in exploring the
>possible causes of various symptoms was given an enormous boost in the
1970s.
>At that time, physicians made two discoveries.  The first showed that
multiple
>tender points are present in those with FMS.  The second discovery
demonstrate-
>ed that an actual sleep disorder is often present in persons having FMS.
This
>is different from the type of sleep disorder that has been shown in depres-
>sion.  In FMS it is called non restorative sleep, or an alpha EEG non-REM
>sleep disorder...
>

>My worst symptoms are unrelenting fatigue, very low energy levels and muscle
>weakness.  Treatment includes some exercise and antidepressants to help with
>serotonin and norepinephrine  reuptake.
>
>It won't kill me but I will die with it unless they come up with a cure.
>
>Thanks,
>
>      Newton J. Hunt
>      nhunt@jagat.com

  Paul Graeber
  pgraeber@1connect.com
  Yamaha Piano - Disklavier
  & Silent Series Service Center
  San Jose, California

  The unknown still smiles
  Behind a hazy shadow.
  How to find it  Why?            "Sidney Harris"