bass strings breaking!

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 22:31:16 -0800

JPTUNER@aol.com wrote:

> hello all,
>              well i have been reading now for a week and find it very
> interesting on all the solutions to problems we encounter being piano
> technicians.Im writing for a problem im having with a baldwin acrosonic, i
> tuned this piano about 8 months ago and the customer called me back about 3
> months ago saying on how i broke 3 of her bass strings,so i went to the house
> took out the old ones and replaced them,now she says they broke again,of
> course i charged her. so now im telling her to change all the bass strings to
> a more heavy duty type of bass string! can anyone tell me if they had this
> experience like this were bass strings just brake,she says it happens when
> when they are not playing the piano,i did ask if her teacher plays hard on
> the piano,but she says her children go for lessons and the teacher does not
> come to the home. it just seems odd how these strings just pop and im being
> blamed.if anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated!
>                              sincerly jptuner
JP,

We need more information.

1. What part of the string is breaking? At the tuning pin, V-bar, bridge
or the hitch pin area?  Are they all in the same location or different?
Were they double wires or single?

2. How rusty are the strings?  Has the piano been flooded?

3. Do the children play hard?  Are they teens or younger?

4. How old is the piano? 15 to 25 years ago Baldwin went through some
rough times and some of the pianos made then have quite a few problems
including breaking bass strings.

5. On your first tuning did you do a large pitch raise?  Did any strings
break then?

To make a general statement, breaking strings are not the fault of the
tuner!  No matter when they occur.  Certainly not 5 months after you
were there!  If you feel you were rough on the strings while you were
tuning, then let you concience be your guide.  Piano wire is the
hardest, strongest wire in the world. If the wire is any good it won't
break.  I would bet that the kids are trying to act like some rock star
and are pounding the keys with the damper pedal on!  Ask if they are
frequently home alone.  Pentacostal and similar churches who try to play
a piano as loud as the drums and horns, break strings in this area all
the time. They usually break at the V-bar.

Before you put a heavier set of bass strings in there, I would talk to
Baldwin Tech Service to find out if this is wise.  Heavier may not be
better.  Just replacing with new wire may be all that is required.
Finding out what kind of music the kids play,  may be the answer to the
whole problem!

Warren

--
Warren D. Fisher