threading wires

Ronald R Shiflet ron_and_lorene@juno.com
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 07:39:08 -0800 (PST)

Bob,
	Threading wires is a relatively simple operation.  First decide
what thread you'll use.  If you are copying a previously threaded wire,
then use a pitch guage to determine what thread to use.  Where you
purchase taps & dies, you can find a chart that will show you what sizes
fit what diameters etc.
	Most of these things are available at better hardware stores.  A
tap is male which will work on a female.  A die is female which will
work on a male.  In this case, you'll be using a die.  The die will need
a handle to hold it.
	I suggest have a vice hold the damper lever.  Turn the die
clockwise with pressure applied until it starts cutting in.  Turn
slowly.  Every couple of turns, back the die off and clean the metal
shavings out.  Takes a little practice but you should be able to do it
yourself.  If you can't find the parts locally, let me know and I'll
send you some information that you may obtain it via mail order.

Ron Shiflet