The use of Vulgate on the net.

Fri, 24 Jan 1997 18:22:45 -0800

Andre,

Congratulations.  Go to the head of the class.

I have used that signature line for nearly six months, and you are the
first person to question it.

Thank you.

If you were not to be incredibly intelligent, you could not be successful
in this work. =20

The (quite) loose translation is:

	"If you can read this, you're overeducated."

I think you'll find over time that this list is somewhat self-limiting.
Many, if not most, of the subscribers have a Bachelor's degree of some
flavor; and many of those have advanced degrees of some kind.  Another
limiting aspect is that many of us either are, or have been, associated
with some College or University.  These are employers who, as what seems to
be a part of a function of their position in society, tend to hire degreed
personnel (not necessarily with regard to other, perhaps more real,
qualifications). =20

I must say that I am not sure that one must make a decision to "skip
classes and beca[o]me a tech instead".  I am not alone in having done both.
 Besides, part of the point of including the quote you questioned is that
sometimes certain knowledge is substantively irrelevant, even when it
shouldn't be.

One example of this might be the attorney who can cite long, convoluted
sections of code or case law, and yet not be able to relate to a client's
need for a simple explanation.  Another might be the technician, who knows
all the theory imaginable, and produces design-perfect work and yet whose
instruments are unimaginative, unmusical, and boring.

In the former case, the client is perhaps denied due process of law by
virtue of their attorney's failure to make it accessible to them.  In the
latter, the artist and audience are perhaps denied their full measure of
artistic performance/experience through the failure of the technician to
provide an instrument that is transparent enough to the performer that the
use of it is not an additional artistic burden.

So, is a Latin quote in an email signature irrelevant?  You bet, except
insofar as it brings me pleasure to play with language.  Will I continue to
do this kind of thing?  Yep.  But you've found me out, so I may have to
make a change.

I wonder if I can figure out how to make my keyboard do Sanskrit...

Oh, I almost forgot.  Since we had so many wonderful responses re: the
concrete piano (Stoneway, Mason, etc.), I found myself wondering if the
instrument in question was not simply Lauter than the others...

I'm sorry.  Really, I am.

Well, apologetic, if not contrite.

Two words for you, Andre - Question Authority

Best to all.

Film at 11.

Horace

t 01:32 AM 1/25/97 +0000, you wrote:
>>Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.
>
>Dear Colleague,
>
>Allthough I am incredibly intelligent, I fail to understand the true
meaning of "

>"Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes".
>
>There are those among us who had a decent education at school, and there
are others who skipped most classes and became a tech instead.

>>Stanford University
>>email: hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu
>>voice mail: 415.725.9062
>>LiNCS help line: 415.725.4627