tape on keytops

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 11:23:12 -0500

In a message dated 97-01-24 01:21:46 EST, Larry wrote:

>It seems to me that this problem crops up every once in a while, where
>someone puts masking tape or scotch tape on the keys of the piano so
>they can write the names of the notes for a beginner.
>
>What is the best product to remove the sticky gummy mess that is left?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Larry Gardner RPT

Larry,

If the tape is still pliable and gummy, you should be able to use your
fingernails or a popsicle stick to carefully work one edge of the tape up enough
to a point where you can grab it with your fingers.  Carefully and slowly peel
it up, and you may find that most of the gummy stuff comes up with the tape.  It
is analagous to removing those pesky price tags from a gift.  You must have
patience to do this successfully, but the outcome is usually very good.

You may be left with residual gum on the keys.  I would be very hesitant to use
ANY type of solvent on platic.  Ivory will resist solvent better than plastic,
but I wouldn't use "goofy goop" or solvent on any of my clients keys.  Use CORY
Key-Brite.  It is perfectly safe for plastic and ivory, and it does a good job
of removing grime and gummy stuff - WD-40 as a last resort.

Always test an untried cleaner in a concealed area before trying it in a visible
area.

Sometimes, if ink has not penetrated deeply, ink stains can be removed from
ivory.  You must sand the uppermost layer of the ivory where the stain resides.
Then, rub and buff it out.  It works well.

Good luck.

John Piesik, RPT