kawai tuning stability

Ronald R Shiflet ron_and_lorene@juno.com
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 23:49:22 -0800 (PST)

Greg,
	Every manufacturer has quirks in their pianos since they get
strapped down good prior to going in the crate.  Within a few months you
soon learn what quirks go with what brand.  I'm guessing about their
tuning stability but I suspect if you did a temp/humidity check, a cents
flat or sharp check and then found out how far those strings had to be
moved during the tuning, you'd have the answer.
	Because of packaging for the big move, Kawai doesn't come out of
the crate flawless.  Loose hammers click, balance holes are too tight,
the glide bolts are never right, and the hammers are always resting on
the rail and need raised.
	I have worked for 2 Kawai dealers in the past.  Tune it, give it
a 30 minute dealer prep and wipe off the movers fingerprints.  3 days
later tune it again.  1 week later tune it again and it should be a
wonderful piano with very predictable results.  About the 3rd tuning
they settle in nicely.

Ron

PS, As per Dennis's post about the 1 Kawai that would never hold, it
sounds like a cracked plate.