tape on keytops

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 01:44:41 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Larry Gardner wrote:

> What is the best product to remove the sticky gummy mess that is left?

I hope the marker didn't bleed through the tape (!).  I've usually had
success removing Scotch(R) tape remnants by using another piece of tape --
100MPH tape (aka "duck" or "duct") usually coaxes that nasty mess off
nicely.  But it's pretty tenacious stuff, so you might first try using
run-of-the-mill masking tape.  The trick is to stick the "tape cleaner"
onto the yuk-stuff and then yank the tape off either straight up or away
on a somewhat oblique angle (45 degrees).

For the harder, dried on stuff, you could try the stuff that's called
"Goof Off" which seems to be little more than mineral spirits.  Sometimes
plain old water will be sufficient to dissolve dried on adhesive.  A piece
of smooth plastic with a sharp edge might be handy, too, for a little
scraping action.

One word of caution:  Make sure the keytops you're operating on aren't
*loose!*  Especially if you choose the tape extraction method!  You'll
have a handful of ivories to glue back on.

Good Luck!

			     Ron Torrella, RPT
			Assistant Piano Technician
			  University of Michigan