HTML

Andrew M. Rudoff andy@rudoff.com
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 10:02:44 -0700

>Does anyone's mail reader show HTML atributes?  Every few days we get a
>message with HTML coding in it.  My reader (pine) does nothing but show
>the embeded codes.  Does this encoding help anyone?

many of the "MIME compliant" mail readers do indeed show HTML.  not
surpisingly, the mail readers that do the best job displaying HTML are
those that also happen to be web browsers.

the obvious example is the netscape program.  when you use it to send mail,
you can send embedded HTML (including pictures, sounds, links, etc.).  when
you use it to read a mail message with embedded HTML, it displays it for you.

unfortunately, netscape makes it just a little too easy to embed HTML without
even realizing that you did it.  i think that's why you occassionally see
some HTML in the messages posted to this list.  older readers like pine
have no idea what HTML is, so you just see the raw HTML source.

-andy