Pinblock Repair.

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 20:46:55 -0500 (EST)

>Piano is an old Kimball Baby Grand.  Not worth the cost of replacing the
>pinblock.  Pinblock is cracked in a group of about 20 pins at the low end of
>the treble section.  I have heard of using epoxy to attempt a repair, but
>don't know the technique.  Does anybody wish to share their expertise or
have
>another method worth trying? Have explained to the customer that any repair
>of this type is a gamble, but she wants to try.
>
>Dick
>Marshall, M

Dick

I have done this repair a couple of times, and desribed it some time ago on
the list.

 I use impact resin. This stuff is used for fibergalss boat hull repairs, so
you should be able to find it there. Also plastic manufacturing companies
have this stuff.

Remove the action and shore up the bottom of the pin block with a piece of
plywood. Between the plywood and the bottom of the pin block put a sheet of
wax paper and  a piece of felt. The wax paper keeps the resin from adhearding
to the felt, and the felt fills in the gaps and holes.

Remove the pins in the area affected. Ream out the holes with a 22 caliber
gun reamer. Put this on a drill and work the reamer in and out, to remove
rust and loose wood. Fill the pin holes about halfway with the impact resin
solution, and drive in pins 1 size bigger than came out. Let this sit for
about 2 days.

When you come back, the solution should be dry. Remove the pins, and then
repin with pins 2 sizes bigger than came out, (1 size bigger than you drove
in). You should have a tight fit. The torque and the "feel" won't be the same
as a wood pin block, but the pins will hold.

I don't guarantee this job, and point out to the customer that cracks will
most likely appear in other areas of the pin block. But the piano will stay
in tune for at least a couple of more years. I charge about $100 for the
repair, plus $2 for each pin I replaced.

Good Luck.

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis