Needing help with Billings Flanges

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 19:17:38 -0800

PNOTNR@aol.com wrote:

> To the list,
>
> I'm rebuilding an upright action that uses Billings flanges.
>
> Can the metal clips be twisted, or should I sort them by whether they travel
> to the left or right?   I'd appreciate any help
> available.  Thanks.
>
> Gordon Large, RPT
> Mt. Vernon, ME

Dear Gordon,

I just found out from my partner that we are rebuilding a billings
flange action also.  And you're right!  The butts are all over the
place!  I been doing some rough traveling with two pairs of pliers.
First, squeeze the two parts of the flange flat together, then swing the
flange so that it lies next to the butt felt, use a medium to small
needle-nose plier to grasp the hinge-pin end of the flange and use the
other plier to twist the flange.  Which way, you ask?  If you hold
needle-noses so the open end  of the flange points at your eyes, the
direction will be obvious.  Make the flange perpendicular to the side of
the butt.  Remember, I said rough!  But it will save you putting a ton
of travel paper on the flange rail.   I was able to get the bass section
within 10 degrees of square in about a half hour.  I'm thinking about
trying a 90 degree damper wire adjuster tomorrow!

Hope this isn't too late!

Warren
--
Warren D. Fisher