tuning pins

S. Brady sbrady@u.washington.edu
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 12:10:13 -0800 (PST)

Dear list,
	Following are 3 questions received from Journal reader Channing
Bartlett, RPT, who does not have a computer. He sends what he calls a
"letter to the experts" on this list, and would like the benefit of
several responses or points of view, if they are to be had.

quote:
1. Until a couple of years ago I assumed that new pianos have 2/0 tuning
pins. but I began discovering otherwise--pianos having 4/0 pins which,
judging from serial number, inspection, and customer comments, seem to
have been sold that way new. Finding this situation no longer surprises
me. Any comments regarding this, please?

2. If you were appraising a piano, or if you were offering to buy it
yourself, would you assign it a lower monetary value simply because it had
oversize pins?

3. Regarding the pins specially cut with a burr to the thread, so that
they will turn easier one way than the other, or something like that: has
anyone reason to suspect that they might harm the pinblock, i.e., by
abrading it over repeated tunings?

ps: here is my list (or most of it) to date, of such pianos I've found:
	Steinway B #480471
	"	   #525174
	"	L  #521100
	"	M  #511454
	" vertical #395332
	Baldwin M  #275980
	Kawai GS30 1661513

unquote

	Mr. Bartlett and I both thank you. Please consider your replies as
possible Journal material.

Thanks,

Steve Brady, RPT
University of Washington