A new Squeak! -Reply

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 10:00:54 -0800

David Graham wrote:

> On the subject of Yamahas that squeak,  I have two Yamaha Grands at
> the Opera House in Chicago that have developed a very quiet sqeak in
> the damper pedal.  It appears to be between the pedal rod and the
> leather pad on the trapwork.  Since this is a loan program piano, I don't
> want to get too adventurous with a solution , but if there is something
> others have used in this situation, I would appreciate knowing what has
> worked.
> David Graham
> Northern Illinois University
David,

That's an easy one.  It's the rod guide bushing felt.  The rod pushes
hard against this felt as it slides through the hole.  Eventually the
protective coating starts coming off leaving a rough surface which works
just like a violin bow.  It resonates through the wood of the guides and
the pedal lyre making a dandy squeak!  Use talcum or teflon powder
applied with a artist brush.  Alternate sources are the leather at the
top of the rod and the socket in the back of the pedal.

Good Hunting!

Warren
--
Warren D. Fisher