Steel soundbaord. was Re: glass soundboard, was Re: electrical ears

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 22:23:45 -0700 (MST)

The soundboard which was mentioned in the book was made in the CGConn
Research Lab.  Paul Bert was in charge of that research. Charles
Walter was in charge of piano engineering and often collaborated with
Paul. The soundboard was
formed with a phenolic resin (plastic) on top and bottom surfaces
separated by expanded honeycomb brown wrapping paper.  This was sealed
with an epoxy bond.  The advantage of this construction was light weight
plus strength.  It was possible to laminate these materials together
in a form which had built-in crown.  The experiment which we did
called for a free floating soundboard.  This did not take advantage of
the crowning.  We would liked to have done additional experiments along
this line but the Co. closed down the piano division at the end of
'69. I went to the Baldwin Piano Co. and Chuck bought the remains of
the Conn Piano Co. minus the name.

We did other experiments which were of more practical use.

Jim Coleman, Sr.

PS Chuck Walter is in possession of the research and experiments which
we were involved in back then.  Some of those things he may choose to
use in the future.  The existing patents have already run out.