"Stretch Marks"

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 19:50:27 -0800

Daleboy@aol.com wrote:

>         While tuning the piano today, I noticed a crack in the finish at the
> joining area of the stretcher rail and the rim just above the cheek. The
> crack runs through the top of the rim as well as around the inside. The
> finish as well as the verneer seem to be splitting. Further inspection showed
> cracks in the area where the keybed joins the belly. Also, some of the main
> beams underneath show some separation....one, more than a sixteenth of an
> inch! The original black paint and glue joints clearly show the fresh wood
> exposed.

 My gut tells me that things aren't likely to get any
> better but will continue to deteriorate.
> Seems to be more than just a little "settling in" or getting use to the
> climate goin' on here.
> Please respond!.........Thanks!
> Dale Whitehead
Dale,

I can only think of a couple of things that would cause such a mess.
One, the crate the piano was shipped in got dropped off the truck
causing internal damage that is just now showing up!  Two, one (or more)
of the glue joints that holds the sides to the key bed and other cross
supports failed allowing the sides to pull away from the soundboard
causing the loss of some of the original crown.  The board could be
loose from it's seat on the sides causing a lack of resonence. This
situation could have been caused by point #1.  You should call the
manufacturer and see if they will pick the piano up to repair or replace
under the Warranty.  Or pay you to do the work if you have the
facilities and necessary skills.

A sticky wicket any way you play it ( or so the british like to tell
us).

Good luck

Warren

--