Steel soundbaord. was Re: glass soundboard, was Re: electrical ears

Östen Häggmark haggmark@mailbox.calypso.net
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 22:27:32 +0100

>When you think about it, what are the chances of two technicians, half a
>world away, finding out they worked on the only two pianos with a steel
>soundboard ever made in the world. Isn't this internet great?
>
>Willem Blees  RPT
>St. Louis.=20

  Great is a too small word!

  To sad we can't verify that it was a Frankel and that there was only 2 of
them built, that would have been interesting information. But since both
you and I have have lost track of the instruments, maybe it wasn't meant to
be preserved for history.=20

  The theme of that particular part of mr Conklins article was new
materials in piano building over the years. He also mentions an American
harpsicord builder called John Challis who many years later (1961)
constructed a piano with a metal soundboard and bridge. A recording of this
piano can be heard on a CD that cames with the book. In 1969, a P A Bert
issued a US patent describing a soundboard with a sandwich construction
consisting of a cellular core and plastic facings.

  I had never heard of the fantastic glass soundboard but I am glad that
the tradition of trying crazy new things continues!

Greetings
=D6sten H=E4ggmark
Stockholm, Sweden

PS Don't worry about the dots