Canned Aural Tuning

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 10:20:55 -0600

List,

and Ed Foote wrote:
>     The best time for me is when the artist is on the way, the lights have
>just been lit, and you must do a 1 1/2 hour tuning in 50 minutes. (88 clicks
>on the foot switch).

   This past weekend was a prime example of the above-mentioned use of the
SAT. One of the artists, Santiage Rodriguez, had to cancel his Saturday
night concert at the last minute because of a back injury. After the mad
scramble
to find a replacement, Jose Feghali, and his arrival time of 4:25 PM, he
didn't actually get to the school until about 5:35. After taking the time
to choose which piano he wanted, moving everything else out, and in order
give him 30 minutes or so on the piano, I ended up with about 45 min. of
tuning time.
   I had done a quick tuning early that morning before the masterclasses
started, so if I had had a SAT, it would have been a relative "snap" to run
through and give a good tuning in that time from a previously recorded &
stored aural tuning!
   The same thing could also be done, of course, on a day to day basis for
our regular recitals, in poorly soundproofed practice rooms, etc., etc.
   One of these days........

Avery

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music