Unusual Story & Clark

Kit Cleworth kitster@polarnet.com
Sat, 18 Jan 1997 20:33:33 -0900 (AST)

I've been pretty happy lurking on this list, especially considering the
quality of information available here, but guess it's about time to come out
of the closet, so to speak.

I am probably the farthest north tech in the U.S. I live in Fairbanks,
Alaska and regularly service pianos all over the north part of the state,
including arctic coastal villages.  I am also the tech for the University of
Alaska music dept. here in Fairbanks.  I service the usual assortment of
pianos all the way from Steinway Ds to an endless number of cheap spinets;
also some unusual pianos including a Mason & Hamlin 9 foot screw stringer.

What really inspired me to post this is a very strange Story & Clark console
(#185976) encountered last week.  On the outside, a normal, pretty beat up
little piano.  The kind of piano I encounter alot, especially in homes with
small children.  After opening the top (which slides off) I thought I had
entered an alternate piano universe.  There were hammers with tails, like a
grand.  And grand-style backchecks acting directly on the hammer tails.  The
jacks were horizontal to the floor in their rest position.  The action was
screwed down only--there were no bolts to (or thru) the plate.  Needless to
say, there were a number of parts I've sure never seen in any APSCO or
Schaff catalog.

So, does anyone know anything about this?  I told my customer her piano was
pretty unusual, at least in my experience, and I would try to find out more
for her.  Any info would be helpful.  Thanks.

Kit Cleworth
Cleworth Piano Tuning & Repair
Fairbanks, Alaska
Kitster@Polarnet.com