Upright damper felts

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 17:17:48 +0000

> Date:          Fri, 17 Jan 1997 12:50:05 -0800
> From:          ggravina@ix.netcom.com (Gerard Gravina)
> Subject:       Upright damper felts
> To:            pianotech@byu.edu

Jerry,

There was another excellent article in the Journal some years
ago by Bill Spurlock on upright damper replacement.  Because of
the article I no longer buy already made bass dampers.  I make
them as per his instructions.  It is easier than you might think
and enables me to make longer bass dampers which they always
need.  As far as the placement of the "backing felt", you can
place it anywhere you want.  I'd match the originals.  Bill's
article recommends a specific type of felt material for that
use, which I can't remember at this moment.  Sorry I don't have
the date of the issue, its in my shop.  I'll post that date when
I can get it.  You also mentioned 1 1/2" "wide damper felt.  I
suppose you are talking about the length...That small amount of
difference shouldn't be a problem!

ilvey, PRT
Pacifica, CA