Bose & C & A questions

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 10:54:17 -0600

Hi Dave,

   Thanks for the reply. I did lube the knuckles with teflon powder and had
considered doing a little bolstering. However, since it's a C & A piano I
want to talk to the "powers that be" before I do anything like that. We may
end up replacing the shanks or the knuckles. If the shanks are replaced, it
would probably be good to go ahead and replace the hammers too and any
tight pinning there could be taken care of then.

>>    3. On the C & A piano, the knuckle buckskin is a little loose around the
>> core, resulting in some extra friction and some complaining about it being
>> a little heavy feeling.

>Some like to "bolster" the knuckle by threading yarn or bushing felt
>strips through the knuckle.  I've not been one to ever make the knuckle
>bigger tho.  I'd probably lube them as well as possible and see how that
>does first.

   The tight pinning is primarily in the wippen flanges. But I agree about
being brave enough to do that with the recital coming up Friday night. One
night of working until 1 AM is enough for me for one week. :-)

>>    4. Some tight pinning is also contributing to the heaviness but it isn't
>> REALLY tight and I don't think time will permit me to repin and then redo
>> any regulation that changes. Any comments on how much the regulation might
>> change if it were repinned?

>Repinning is not something I'd be brave enough to do unless I had a few
>days to get the piano back up and running.

>David M. Porritt, RPT

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston