Mason & Risch Serial Numbers

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 10:44:40 -0700

>>Were the Mason & Risch pianos not actually Mason & Hamlin (mostly)?  I seem

Time for a Canadian piano history lesson... I'll make it short. B-})

The Mason & Risch piano company was begun by Thomas Gabriel Mason (a former
accountant for Nordheimer) and Vincent Risch along with Octavius Newcombe in
Toronto in 1871. In 1886 they formed a partnership with Gerhard Heintzman
and  Albert and Samuel Nordheimer to produce the "Lansdowne" piano (a brand
designed for stencils) for their companies.

They built excellent pianos until 1950 when the company was taken over by
the Winter company of NY, and the quality of their pianos and their CDN
distribution system through department stores both dropped off rapidly. The
company closed its doors in 1972.

Prior to 1950 the company made excellent pianos. Their uprights were
particularly fine. Once Winter and Aeolian got hold of them their products
were hardly worth playing, unfortunately.

For more information on Canadian pianos see Wayne Kelly's excellent book
"Downright Upright - A History of the Canadian Piano Industry".

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com