Service fees 1947, Howe

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 07:10:09 -0500 (EST)

Wim;
  You might be right, Steve certainly is about taxes(although the tax rate
for IRS was higher in 47 there were many more deductions including the tax on
tobacco), but consider this;
in 1947 these "better off tuners" had mostly used cars to buy because of the
war, if one could be had at all. A new small refrigerator cost 245.00, but
most were still using ice boxes.
Most telephones, when service was available were on party lines, although
there was the convenience of just speaking the number you wanted in to the
phone once you could get a line. Television was not generally available on
the market. People were washing clothes in wringer washers, or scrub boards,
and hanging their clothes on clothes lines to dry. A large house (900-1,000
sq. ft.) could be bought for 3,000-4,000 dollars at 3.5-4% interest, but
there was no carpeting, or appliances, or insulation, or central heat at that
price. In 1947 you went to the corner store and got your coke, out of a
cooler with ice and icy water in it, and had your choice usually of Grapette,
Coke, Pepsi, Orange Crush, RC Cola or Nehi.
  In Europe people were still trying to get to work around piles of rubble
left over from the war. Many were trying to find family members or friends
that had disappeared. In this country we were begining the period of economic
expansion, rising consumer demand, and expectation, that you are enjoying
now.
  The good old days weren't all that good and I  rather doubt that anyone who
was living then would trade these times for those, except perhaps for the
"kinder gentler society". But weren't there signs up that kept some people
from doing some things and didn't some people have to pack their meals if
they went on long road trips because they could not get food at some places?;
weren't some people kept from doing some things because they were not the
right gender?; would you have dared to open a Yamaha dealership in 1947?.

  Ah yes the good old days of 1947 when the Betsy Ross spinet was born, when
Lester was making pianos with miracle plastic parts, when Estey was a 'good
spinet' , when Winter pianos were all the rage, when we were blessed with
7,000 new Wurlitzers (mostly vinyl clad). In the good old days of 1947 when
tuners got together they discussed fifths, partials and thirds, but what they
were discussing was contained in a bottle, or dentures, or who stole third
base during what ball game. This was the period off self education where many
of the leaders of the trade were begining to make all the mistakes that they
warn us about today. The tooners of 1947 became the tuners of the 60's and
the technicians of today and we should be grateful for them and for their
sharing with us. I don't think that any of these tooners/tuners/techs would
want to return to 1947.
  If we could do away with todays "things" and go back to what was available
in 1947 would you be content to live with todays income? If so what would you
spend it on ?
  So in general perhaps we are better off today then in 1947, we certainly
would be if we got rid of all the "things" we have now that did not exist in
1947 wouldn't we? 1947 was a good year for me, if I remember correctly, but
please don't tell me I was probably better off then. I will take todays
burdens hands down thank you.

Just my opinion.
Jim Bryant (FL)