Steinway Evaluation

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 11 Jan 1997 19:43:15 -0500 (EST)

>List Members:  I was called out to evaluate and appraise a Steinway A
>grand.  However, the condition of the instrument makes an appraisal a
>bit problematical, at least for me.  Here are the specifics:
>	Serial number 49516, year 1882. Refinished in natural color,
>appartently was originally ebony.  Soundboard and bridges very good, new
>pinblock.  Restrung competently, but has five notes in lower tenor
>(G2-D3) given only two would strings instead of three, with tuning pin
>holes in plate left open and undrilled.  New hammers and shanks
>(untapered in treble) and very heavy touchweight - 80+grams in bass.  I
>assume the primary culprit for this heaviness is the hammers and shanks,
>with excess friction in the action contributing as well.  Keytops are
>recovered in plastic.  Of course, the action will need lots of work to
>make it function smoothly.  Tone is good generally.  My thought is to
>work up a average value for the piano in good condition, subtract the
>cost of needed work, and use that figure.  However, some of these
>repairs, such as lightening hammers, tapering shanks, possible
>reweighting keys to balance the new hammers I have not done before.  Any
>advice would be welcomed.  Patrick Poulson, RPT

Patrick:

My suggestion is to ask a couple of techs in your area what they would charge
to do the work you can't do. Substracting the work that needs to be done from
what you think the piano might be worth in it currect condition, is a good
way to come up with an appraisal. However, in this case, given the age of the
piano, and that although work has been done on it, it appears to me that if
anyone would want this instrument, the whole thing should be rebuilt, and
done correctly.

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis