Steinway Evaluation

Bonifield/Poulson bonifarm@oro.net
Sun, 12 Jan 1997 14:39:38 +0000

List Members:  I was called out to evaluate and appraise a Steinway A
grand.  However, the condition of the instrument makes an appraisal a
bit problematical, at least for me.  Here are the specifics:
	Serial number 49516, year 1882. Refinished in natural color,
appartently was originally ebony.  Soundboard and bridges very good, new
pinblock.  Restrung competently, but has five notes in lower tenor
(G2-D3) given only two would strings instead of three, with tuning pin
holes in plate left open and undrilled.  New hammers and shanks
(untapered in treble) and very heavy touchweight - 80+grams in bass.  I
assume the primary culprit for this heaviness is the hammers and shanks,
with excess friction in the action contributing as well.  Keytops are
recovered in plastic.  Of course, the action will need lots of work to
make it function smoothly.  Tone is good generally.  My thought is to
work up a average value for the piano in good condition, subtract the
cost of needed work, and use that figure.  However, some of these
repairs, such as lightening hammers, tapering shanks, possible
reweighting keys to balance the new hammers I have not done before.  Any
advice would be welcomed.  Patrick Poulson, RPT